Thursday 19 January 2012

 Multitasking is unhealthy for your mind and body!

My son wakes up from his nap. I stop reading to cuddle and then help him with his homework. 15 short minutes later my daughter wakes up crying. I quickly jump up and run her to the bathroom as she is currently potty training.

 "Mom. Mooooom. MOOOOOOMMMYYYY" says the impatient 3 year old in the other room. I leave her on the potty and  head back to the kitchen and finish checking his "homework page" as he gets the playdough bucket. I grab his mat,  open a container of playdough and set out some toys.

(Wait? It's too quiet.) I make a mad dash back to the bathroom and as I round the corner, my jaw drops, there is toilet paper everywhere!! On my floor, on the toilet, on her legs, wrapped around her body and on her head! (so much for triple rolls and saving money) She looks up at my shocked face with her puppy dog eyes ``Sowwy Mommy``.  I can`t hold back. I start laughing as I tell her that it`s ok but please don`t do it again.

I take her off and run her a bath. Clean up the toilet paper and throw in a load of laundry sitting on the floor as I make a mental note to remember there's a pile sitting in the living room that needs folding. Wash. Dry. Clothe the baby.

Head to the living room, give her a couple of board books (aka indestructible books) and start folding some laundry.  Under a shirt I find a recipe. Grab paper and  pen and before I forget,  I write out the grocery list for the week. My stomach starts to growl. As I look at the clock I realise it's almost dinner and nothing is planned. Salmon in freezer?! Check. Pull it out butter season and throw it in the oven.

Chomp, chomp, chomp I turn around and shes sitting on the floor underneath my son`s chair like a dog eating what he`s dropped.`Noooo. That`s playdough not food." I say to my daughter. I open her mouth and dig it out, put her in high chair with playdough and playdough toys. ``See. You play with it``.

Back to dinner- I pull out rice. Grab the measuring spoon and before I close the drawer, my clumsy self knocks the rice into the drawer. (Ugghhh why today!?) Grab the vacuum and suck up the rice. As I am standing up, I bump a fork from the counter to the ground. Grab the fork. (YUCK! Under the counter needs vacuuming.) Throw the fork in sink. Dishes need to be done. Fill the sink with hot water and soap. (Why didn`t Santa bring me a dishwasher!!)  Put the rice on the stove.

Start vacuuming underneath the counter and something gets stuck in the vacuum.Skate bag from new years?!? (He was suppose to put that away!) I open up the bag. (Great wet blades. Grrrrrrrr!!!) Pull out the skates. Grab a bathroom towel and a wipe. (Wait, I hear more noise.) Water`s boiling. Run for the stove and turn down the know for the rice. Back to skates. Wipe with a wet wipe and dry with a towel. Repeat for four times and organize the skates back into the closet.

Back to dinner. (Broccoli?! Where is the broccoli??) Pull it from the fridge and put it on a cutting board with a knife. Beeeeeeep. Laundry done. Pick up skate towel and start walking toward the bathroom. (Why is there diapers all over the hallway?!) Throw towel in bathroom as I make another mental note to throw it in hamper later. Clean up all the diapers.

"Mom. Mom. Lan made a mess of her playdough." Back to kitchen. Playdough is all over her tray. (Phew, at least it's not all over the ground.) Click, the door opens."Daddy daddy!!!" they squeal with delight. Sniff sniff.  (Oh no! That's wasn't laundry. Salmons done. Where are my oven mitts.  Whatever, there`s no time a dishtowel will do.) Sizzle. ``Ahhhhhh!!!`` I scream. My arm is burning. Grumble grumble. Throw the salmon on the counter. Run the water, stick my arm under and look around.

(My book is sitting out on the table.Clothes are in the living room. Lan`s books are on the floor. Kitchen counter is cluttered. Broccoli is still on the counter not steamed.Vacuum is still plugged in beside the counter. Skate bag is on the floor. Playdough is all over my daughters tray and my son`s playdough toys are askew on the kitchen table. Rice is on the wrong burner drying out. Laundry is still in the dryer waiting to be folded.)

I turn around with my arm still under the running water, watching my husband greet our kids. As he looks up I belt out ``Yes, we are having raw broccoli with dinner tonight!!``

Multi tasking= exhausts your body and tricks your mind into thinking your getting stuff done!

S.L Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment